Friday, August 27, 2010

A Christmas Card in August


Was moping around with nothing to do today...NOT!!!! Remodeling one of the offices this week and all the stuff is sitting in my DH's mancave. So there is plenty to do, but I don't want to do that, I want to create something.
The kitchen is clean, the house is vacuumed, the floors could use a good scrubbing, the three bathrooms are spic and span. Beds are made and the last load of laundry is in the washer. I feel good about the housekeeping so why should I worry about moving heavy objects from one room to the other? The guys can help me on another day. OK, back to creating - got on the computer and looked for a sketch or challenge or both. Found two ideas to incorporate into one card. Operation Write Home is throwing a recipe out there for a challenge - a ribbon, a punch or die cut, and heat or dry embossing....right up my alley. The 2 Sister's challenge blog has got an easy sketch.
The spellbinders label five was in my red scrap drawer and it gave me an idea...put the image behind the die cut...and that lead to cutting the red piece uneven hoping the twill ribbon will offset the 'unbalanced' focal point. The image is from Daisy Doodles Store. You can find it in the store under Candles in the Christmas section of Jules' store. i cut out two layers of the holly at the bottom of the candle and popped them up.
The smaller hollies were printed out on Word so I could get them real tiny, then colored them with my Prismacolor pencils, and finally cut them all out. I cut out 20 sets of those tiny holly leaves and glued them on the card. Added Glossy Effects to all the red berries to get them to shine!
And after all that I forgot to add a sentiment....guess it will have to wait ....just like all that stuff sitting in the mancave and the bare floors that need scrubbing!
Thanks for coming by!

Challenges;
Papertake Weekly - 3-2-1; 3 papers, 2 added layers of holly leaves on the candles, 1 die cut
Donna's Den of Crafts - Decoupage

13 comments:

Dori Shelton said...

This is a gorgeous Christmas Card. I love the traditional reds and greens with the white and the soft glow of the candles. Well done!

Sherry Hickey said...

I love your card; it reminds me of an old-fashioned Christmas! And I love your techniques.

Jan Hunnicutt said...

What a wonderful Christmas card Joanne! I like the traditional colors you used and the 2 Sister's sketch is a nice layout! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Operation Write Home!

Missy said...

I love your blog. Your card is wonderful.

Lawren said...

I love this Christmas Card. I need to do more of them. This is lovely.

Lawren

Kathy said...

Leave the heavy boxes for the men! Love the little holly you cut and glossy effected (can I use that as a verb? lol), such a labor intensive project. It looks wonderful. The way you pleated the ribbon along the one side looks so cool, too. Great job Joanne.

TinaB said...

Beautiful Jo!! Love the image xx Thanks for playing at The 2 sisters challenge blog xx Hugs Tina xx

Unknown said...

I really like the ribbon and how you folded it.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- that is alot of cutting, but the look you achieved is fabulous! Love this card. Man, you have been productive- that is alot of housework!!!

Tracey said...

Lovely traditional Christmas card Joanne & thank you for joining us at Donna's Den too!

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Cheryl said...

Very nice! I think the ribbon does balance it. Good thinking.

I don't know about you but I get an absurd sense of satisfaction every time I get a Christmas card done early. One less to worry about come crunch time.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Christmas card Joanne, great image too!

Thanks for sharing with us this week over at 2 Sisters Challenge blog!

Jo x

Stacy Walker said...

Very festive card. Very beautiful. Thank you for joining us at the 2 Sisters Challenge.

Related Posts with Thumbnails